Many MFWI students went to the musical of Little Women last Thursday. It was the first time for me to go to a musical in the United States, so I had been looking forward to seeing it. There were mainly two exciting things, the import of a story and the behavior of American audience during the musical.
 |
| Theater |
First, the import of a story in this musical was very exciting to me. I like Little Women very much because every characters in the story was cute and unique. That's why I enjoyed this musical. I couldn't understand some of the scenes well as actors and actresses spoke very fast. In addition to this, I couldn't catch some words correctly. However, I could roughly understand the musical as I studied Little Women in reading class. Thanks to this musical and the reading class, I was able to discuss the content of this story and my favorite scenes or character with RA. This is a good topic for conversation when I talk to American people. As a result, the import of a story in this musical was exciting to me.
 |
| Costume |
Second, the behavior of American audience was also interesting. They were much more active and friendly to actors and actresses. In other words, they shouted loud in excitement and laughed loud voice. Moreover, they gave a standing ovation. In Japan, on the other hand, people are less likely to shout out loud in excitement or laugh loud voice, so I was very surprised to hear and see them. I thought the most important value for American people was responding to someone's action. However, Japanese people think to be quiet is the best way so as not to interrupt a musical. It was also the first time for me to give a standing ovations at the end,
so I liked it very much. Therefore, the behavior of American audience was interesting.
As I mentioned above, the import of a story in the musical and the behavior of American audience was very exciting. Seeing the musical in English was very good experience for me. I'd like to see some more musicals in the United States again if I have a chance.
Comments