Surprising Things in Sunrise Elementary School

My class went to Sunrise Elementary school last Friday. We talked with 4th graders there, and I looked around the inside of the school building. Compared with Japanese local elementary schools, I found two very obvious differences; decorations of classrooms and students’ lunch.

First, the most obvious difference I observed is the decorations in the whole building. In Sunrise elementary school, I could see many paintings and ornaments, and all rooms were colorful. In contrast, Japanese elementary schools have simple and the minimal numbers of decorations. Japanese children would prefer American schools if they saw the decorations, but I do not think that elementary school need to be decorated that much. School with cute decorations sound very fun, but when I remember my elementary school life, having a simple classrooms never made my school life boring. I think that children have potential to find or make fun things by themselves even if they have only simple rooms. However, I noticed a good point of fully decorated classrooms, too. It is that children can naturally learn how to concentrate on studying in the rooms that are not very relaxing. I think that it is a little bit difficult for Japanese children because they have gotten used to studying in simple rooms, but it would be important to have concentration in every situation for their futures.

Next, students’ lunch was also very different than the lunches in Japan. While Japanese elementary school provides healthy and balanced meals which are considered by nutritionists, what students in Sunrise elementary school were eating was unbalanced. Students had snacks and few vegetables. It was surprising that both the provided school lunch and the lunch that students brought from their home looked very unhealthy. I asked students whether they had class for dietary education before, and they told me they have never had it. Students in Japan start to learn about good nutrition from 1st grade and they know what kind of meals they should eat. I think it is important and necessary to provide dietary education for children and to have both school and parents provide healthier food, because altering dietary habits would be very difficult when they become adults.

In conclusion, I noticed two obvious differences between Japanese and this American elementary school; decorations of classrooms and students’ lunches. They were both surprising for me and there must be some reasons for these differences, but I think it is sometimes important to find a good system of another culture and adopt it in order to provide better environment for children.

Comments