In America, there are a lot of cultural norms. When on Tuesday February 19th our writing class went to sunrise elementary school to meet our pen pals. I learned about different culture and life style at school. I am interested to learning about different cultures. I had a great experience at that time. I have never thought about 4th grade students in America. I could not imagine experience. I felt there were many differences, especially, the food, a class and students.
At first, food at the school was different. In Japan, government provides free lunches for schoolchildren at public expense. Free lunch menu is decided by nutritionist. These experts consider our health and protecting it. Some people think Healthy food often does not taste good. It is a major mistake. During the time of Meiji, food tasted very bad. Almost students leaved free lunches. Recently, school keep with the times. Now, school lunch taste very good to eat and cheap. Every elementary student in Japan eat free lunches. They are satisfied very much. When we went to sunrise elementary school, I have known that everyone had own lunch. It was surprising for me. I was anxious about their health. Students ate snacks, milk including sugar and dairy products such as cheese. It was high calories. School lunch is very different between Japan and America.
Next, also the classroom in America is different than the classroom in Japan. The wall of classes are decorated by decorations students made. It was colorful. Students taught us who made the decoration. Position of the desk is different in this class. In Japan, the position of desks is the same. Japanese class is one-sided.
Finally, students at sunrise are different. Compared the two countries, they were opposite personalities and style. Japanese students are not active at all. They were interested in many things. However they do not show it on the surface. It is tradition in Japan. If Japanese were in America, American could not understand them and they would not feel good. When I arrived at MFWI and started classes, I learned that participation is the most important things in America. Sunrise elementary students were positive and always raised own hand.
Those things I learned are important in America. Difference are good points. I was surprised about those things. I think I have to do more communication in America. We have a lot of opportunity in America. I can know and learn about sense of values in MFWI. I am interested in learning about culture and norms. I want to know the difference between Japan and America.
Comments