Interesting trip


I went on a West Coast trip by a bus about two weeks ago as a school trip to learn about American cultures more deeply, and I had a great time with my friends. We visited Tacoma, Olympia, and Seattle such as the Colombia River, Safeco Field, the shopping mall, and a lot of museums. We had a kind and good guide and she told us many interesting things in each place. However, I could find interesting cultural differences, such as things about the bus, as well as the sushi restaurant and the Starbucks during my west coast trip.

At first, I found one big difference in our bus. Each American seat’s position in the bus was higher than Japanese seats. My legs couldn’t reach under the chair even if I tried many times when I sat in the bus chair. I guess many Mukogawa students also experienced the same situation as me. Moreover, I have never experienced this in Japan. I thought about why Japanese bus seats and American bus seats are different heights. I think that’s why Japanese people and American people have different length of legs. Therefore, height of seats are totally different between Japan and the U.S. I want to have long legs like Americans have.


 Delicious Sushi restairant!!

Second, I noticed some cultural similarities in the sushi restaurant called Blue C Sushi that is in the shopping mall. This was my first time eating sushi in the U.S. My image of American sushi was only rolls, no Nigiri because I have heard that American people don’t eat row fishes mush. However, there were a lot of Nigiri such as a scallop, tuna, eel and a young yellowtail and other Japanese food such as Udon, boiled spinach seasoned with soy sauce, and green soybeans. In addition, I was really surprised that clerks spoke Japanese such as “Irasshaimase” and “Haiyo” in there. I was so amazed when I saw and ate sushi because it was the same as a Japanese sushi restaurant. Their Japanese and sushi reminded me of Japan and I came to want to go back my home when I was there.
 


Fantastic  Starbucks!!
Last, I noticed not only the similarity but also the difference between Japan and the U.S. in the first store of Starbucks. First of all, I think the taste of coffee was almost the same as a Japanese Starbucks. Both Japanese Starbucks coffee and American Starbucks coffee are yummy. On the other hand, a shop stuff is different between Japanese and American.  American staff who work in the first store of Starbucks were working with enjoyment. For example, after a cashier received an order, she tossed a cup to the other staff who make the coffee. It looked fun for me. Indeed, Japanese Starbucks staffs may be working with enjoyment, but they might not do it like American staff do. I thought I want to see the performance like it in a Japanese Starbucks.

I had a really good experience in this trip and I was aware of interesting differences of the bus, the Starbucks, the similarities of the sushi restaurant and also the Starbucks. I found the body and the working style between American and Japanese are so different. Also, I noticed the Japanese culture is welcomed to the U.S. and Japan accept the American culture. I’d like to visit Seattle again to find more interesting things someday.

Comments