I have seen the movie High School Musical many times, and I'm really astonished at American school life every time I watch it. The different things Two things I noticed when watching it are the difference of the school calender in America and the difference of fashion for high school students. I want to respect both American school style and Japanese school style.
In Japan, usually a year is divided into three semesters, but in America, it is divided into two semesters. Also the new school year begins in April in Japan, however it starts in September in the U.S. In this movie students have amazing summer vacation, so I envy this type of difference. If I had such a long and wonderful vacation, I would travel to other countries. I think to spend summer in other countries would help me to learn more about them. "A picture is worth a thousand words." is an impressive saying for me, so I always wish I could had enough precious time to spend overseas. However because of our semester system, we can't do that. I think also American system has a disadvantage. I'm concerned that students would forget a lot of things what they learned during the long vacation.
Additionally I'm surprised at the fashion in American schools. Most American high schools don't have school uniforms like Japanese schools. In Japan, almost all high schools have their original uniforms. In movies that express American high school life, students wear clothes they want to wear. I think this custom is from a policy of freedom and independence in America. I think this American style is very nice because fashion is one of the ways that people express their identity. However the high school I visited in 11th grade in America had a kind of school uniform. Students could wear T-shirts, polo shirts and sweatshirts which the school made. In Japanese high schools, students are banned from dyeing their hair, having a permanent, wearing make up at schools or wearing earrings. On the other hand, American students are usually allowed to do all these things. Japanese high schools believe uniformity is the most important. It's not bad way of thinking but I want Japanese educators to prize our individuality.
I always learn many things when I watch movies and dramas with American high school themes. In both countries, Japanese and American high school styles have good points. If Japan incorporated the American system, Japanese high school life would be more fun.
In Japan, usually a year is divided into three semesters, but in America, it is divided into two semesters. Also the new school year begins in April in Japan, however it starts in September in the U.S. In this movie students have amazing summer vacation, so I envy this type of difference. If I had such a long and wonderful vacation, I would travel to other countries. I think to spend summer in other countries would help me to learn more about them. "A picture is worth a thousand words." is an impressive saying for me, so I always wish I could had enough precious time to spend overseas. However because of our semester system, we can't do that. I think also American system has a disadvantage. I'm concerned that students would forget a lot of things what they learned during the long vacation.
Additionally I'm surprised at the fashion in American schools. Most American high schools don't have school uniforms like Japanese schools. In Japan, almost all high schools have their original uniforms. In movies that express American high school life, students wear clothes they want to wear. I think this custom is from a policy of freedom and independence in America. I think this American style is very nice because fashion is one of the ways that people express their identity. However the high school I visited in 11th grade in America had a kind of school uniform. Students could wear T-shirts, polo shirts and sweatshirts which the school made. In Japanese high schools, students are banned from dyeing their hair, having a permanent, wearing make up at schools or wearing earrings. On the other hand, American students are usually allowed to do all these things. Japanese high schools believe uniformity is the most important. It's not bad way of thinking but I want Japanese educators to prize our individuality.
I always learn many things when I watch movies and dramas with American high school themes. In both countries, Japanese and American high school styles have good points. If Japan incorporated the American system, Japanese high school life would be more fun.
Comments