The thing that has most surprise me here in America is the food. It's very fatty, with large portions and sometimes a strange taste, so I was astonished by the food in America and I didn't expect this. I think there's no food in Japan fattier than American food.
When I arrived in Seattle at the airport on February 4th, I was starving and my roommate and I looked for some places to eat. However we thought most of the restaurants in the airport had high calorie food, so we didn't feel like eating such food. This was the first impression on America. At the time, I could imagine a little the kind of food we would soon have at Commons on MFWI campus. We have a breakfast, lunch and dinner at Commons everyday. The taste of the meal is usually okay but I already feel the food is too heavy for my stomach. I don't eat meat so often in Japan but we're served at Commons hamburgers, pork, chicken, bacon, sausages and other meat. We also have French toast or deserts. They are too sweet. Therefore these kinds of food were really shocking to me my first week.
I really wonder about the difference between American and Japanese food culture. For example, I ate some chicken nuggets at Commons a few days ago, but the name of the dish written on a white board in Commons was "Karaage". Is this the same for American people as Japanese people? I don't think so. Karaage is Karaage, chicken nuggets are chicken nuggets. I think that French toast in America is also different from ours. We usually put sugar on a toast after baking in Japan but at Commons, I ate a French toast with much sugar is on it. Taste was the same I expected, it was too sweet for me, but it was only the first time to feel like that. The second time, I didn't think that it was too sweet. I'm really afraid of becoming accustomed to American high calorie food.
There are many differences between Japanese and American food. I'm very interested in learning more about them, so I'll try to discover a lot of differences between two countries during these three and a half months.
| Fatty Food at Commons |
I really wonder about the difference between American and Japanese food culture. For example, I ate some chicken nuggets at Commons a few days ago, but the name of the dish written on a white board in Commons was "Karaage". Is this the same for American people as Japanese people? I don't think so. Karaage is Karaage, chicken nuggets are chicken nuggets. I think that French toast in America is also different from ours. We usually put sugar on a toast after baking in Japan but at Commons, I ate a French toast with much sugar is on it. Taste was the same I expected, it was too sweet for me, but it was only the first time to feel like that. The second time, I didn't think that it was too sweet. I'm really afraid of becoming accustomed to American high calorie food.
There are many differences between Japanese and American food. I'm very interested in learning more about them, so I'll try to discover a lot of differences between two countries during these three and a half months.
Comments