An Astonishing Experience

I experienced a cultural difference firsthand. Last Thursday in writing class, we went to SFCC which is a community college next to MFWI. We talked to American students who have been studying Japanese for several weeks. After that I had a chance to talk in English with my partner. I asked her what she knew about Japanese animation, her favorite music and so on. Also I found that she and another person who I talked later spoke English in native speed even though I am a foreigner! Of course I couldn't catch what they said and I asked them to repeat many times. I was very surprised because in general, Japanese people won't speak Japanese in natural speed to a foreigner! Later, I told my teacher about my culture shock experience. After talking with him, I noticed that there are many foreign citizens here compared with Japan. I thought that the existence of English speakers who look like foreigners would be natural for students.

After visiting SFCC, we went to a local high school which has a Japanese class. I met my conversation class pen pals and we talked about Japanese and American culture. I was glad to hear that they like Japanese manga very much. In this school, I experienced what I wrote about again! They also spoke very fast and I couldn't do good rejoinders. I lost my confidence twice in a day! What a terrible day it was. However I changed my mind and decided to study harder. I hope that I would communicate with those who I met more smoothly next time.

Comments