Wonderful Welcome Banquet


On February 12 in the evening, I experienced wonderful party. The MFWI Welcome Banquet is the English department’s traditional event to welcome students to Spokane. All students and many teachers attended it. The program had some interesting events. The last event was singing from students, and it was a memorable experience.

On that day, all students, of course including me, gathered in Commons hall where the Welcome Banquet were held. Everyone was looking forward to it, except me. I felt very nervous because I was the conductor of the song we students sang to MFWI at the end. I was chosen because I can play the violin. But I am poor at rhythm and I hated standing in front of many people, so I felt very nervous. Before the Welcome Banquet, we practiced many times, but it was very difficult to be the conductor of the song! I was upset and trembled each time. I didn’t do well at the practice, so I felt more nervous. However, my friends and teachers encouraged me! Many people knew that I would be the conductor. Thus they encouraged and helped me a lot.

The day was coming. I felt very nervous, but many people encouraged me. Even the teacher who sat next to me encouraged me, too. I felt better and better. I enjoyed the dinner and talking with many people. However, when my turn came, I felt nervous again. Looking out from the stage, there were more people than I’d ever thought and all of them looked at me. I wanted to get off the stage. Then, I saw some of my friends waving their hands to me and I felt relaxed. I remembered their support so I stood with confidence and I became brave. I was able to enjoy my responsibility!

 This experience made me more confident and brave. After that, I started to not be afraid of standing in front of many people. I signed up to volunteer for Hinamatsuri and I’ll make a presentation on that day. Thanks to that experience, standing in front of people again, I gain confident. When I became the conductor, I felt nervous and I regretted becoming the conductor. However now, I think it was good for me to be the conductor. It gave me a confidence and valuable memory.

Comments