Is Japan the best country?

Even though I have studied English and other cultures, I've always thought that Japanese customs and cultures are the best in my heart of hearts. It sounds ridiculous, but I really believed it to be so. If I hadn't come here to learn, I would have been caught up in this stereotype. However, I have a different opinion now. My view has been changed thanks to spending some time in the U.S and learning about American customs and cultures.

In my previous image, American people said their opinions directly. I thought that it's not good. In Japan, most people aren't willing to say something directly. Instead of saying something directly, they prefer supposing what other people want to say. I believed that this system was really great because I didn't want to hurt anyone and be hurt. In my former opinion, to say my own opinion directly hurt someone or make people feel uncomfortable sometimes. It's sometimes true, I think. However, I realized that it's important to express my opinion through my life in America. People cannot realize anything without words. I know that it's difficult for me to do it in Japan, but I'll try it after coming back to Japan.

Here is other culture that I didn't understand at first. In the U.S, it's usual for most people to keep the door in the restroom open. When I'm in Japan, my mother gets angry gets me when she sees the opened door. It's annoying that people can see the toilet, and opened door makes us uncomfortable in Japan. We don't want people to see inside. So I didn't understand why most American people keep the door open. At first, I was uncomfortable not to shut the door after using the restroom. However, I've spent a few weeks here and now understand why most American people keep the door open. In Japan, I have to knock or check the space which shows if people enter the toilet or not. Here I don't need to knock! I can know if people use it or not as soon when I see the opened door.

Through these experiences, I was able to escape my stereotype. I know that I cannot be escape from it completely because I'm Japanese. However, these experiences help me to be an outsider. I realized that I need both to respect Japan and to know other cultures. Now I don't think that Japanese customs or cultures are the best, and I understand that every culture or custom has different aspects. What culture is the best? There is no answer, but every culture has some advantages and disadvantages, I learned this from this program!

Comments