Important Things in our Community Life

I arrived in Spokane about ten days ago. At that time I was looking forward to this experience but I also felt uneasiness. It is my first time to go abroad and live in a dormitory with so many people. My life in Spokane is clearly different than my life in Japan. In a dormitory, helping each other without depending on someone and respecting other people and myself are important. Recently our group had a communication challenge.

Our nice dormitory, Covington
About four days ago, five friends of my group said "We want to go to SFCC (Spokane Falls Community College) to watch a basketball game tomorrow evening." to our RA, Rae. She said "OK. How many people want to go?" I also wanted to go and watch the game, but I had no intention of going there. I didn't do my homework and I was a little tired, so I didn't raise my hand.

The next day, when we were having dinner, Rae was talking with the advisors. A few minutes later, she came to us with a sad face, and said "We cannot go tonight. If we really want to watch a basketball game, all the members of this group have to go there. Five members going to SFCC, and others staying in the dormitory is not permitted."

After we came back to our dormitory, we discussed the problem. Five friends wanted to go, but the other five including me wanted to stay home. Unfortunately, this basketball game was the last game held at SFCC, so this evening was a last chance to watch a basketball game. Other sports games are going to be held there after this. One of my group members said "I want to watch a basketball game, not other sports games." Another said "I have to do my homework to finish it by tomorrow." We were troubled. What should we do? Then Rae said "It's up to you. You can chose yourselves."

After all, we decided to not go. We understood each other's opinion and consented this decision. I thought it was one of difficult problems of our community life. When one side goes the way they want, the other must have patience. My five friends who wanted to watch this basketball game are latter in this case. Having patience is occasionally necessary in the community life, but always having patience is bad. It makes people stressful. This is why we should help each other and respect other people and myself in the community life.