English Only, Please!!

My first week at MFWI passed very slowly. In only one week, I experienced so many more things than I expected before I came here. As I have been to New Zealand for 3 months, this is not my first time to visit another country which uses English as a first language. When I lived NZ with my host family, who can not speak Japanese, I was forced to speak in English. Now I live in here, with Japanese friends, and there is one thing that I feel is completely different. That is, I am not forced to speak "English Only", and I can communicate with friends even in Japanese.

At first when I came here, I was really confused about whether I would speak in English only even to friends who don't speak English much. I thought that they could not understand not only what I was talking about but also who I am. Even though I am never proud of myself for being able to speak well their eyes for my English skill scares me. I hesitate to speak English because I don't want them not to like me.

Eventually, I have decided to speak English mostly. Soon I realized that what I worried about is a ludicrous thing. I can try to speak, and I don't have to care about others' feelings. If I want to improve my English, I can try to find someone who has the same idea as myself. There are a lot of friends who want to do EO with me so it makes me really happy. Unfortunately there are also many people who don't have that idea around me, but it doesn't matter to me. I can keep trying to speak English with them. If it's necessary, I can ask them to do EO.

Of course I love Japanese more than English. I sometimes change my languages for depending on a situation. Also It is hard work for me to keep EO among students who don't do EO. Though it is a really challenging thing to do, I still can say "English Only, please!!"