Wonderful Memorial

Huge Lincoln statue
On the fifth day of the East Coast Trip, I was in Washington D.C. It is the capital city of the America so it has amazing sites of the city. I saw many magnificent buildings such as the Capital building, the White House and the Smithsonian Institution. All the buildings were very glorious and surprising for me. In addition, I saw many splendid memorials in Washington D.C, for example, the Japanese American memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial and so on. The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial is one of my favorite memorials. However, my favorite place during East Coast Trip was the Lincoln Memorial.


The Lincoln Memorial impressed me because its appearance is fabulous. The Lincoln Memorial is located on the Mall in Washington, D.C. The statue of Lincoln is 19 feet high. He is enormously huge! I learned it took four years to complete it. I was very tiny in front of him. And inside on each wall, there are his famous words that he spoke. Those are huge too. When I saw his famous words, 'government of the people by the people for the people' I was impressed because I had been dreaming of visiting there. Also, he is sitting in the beautiful temple. It has many poles and stairs to get to inside of the temple. Around the ceiling of the memorial, there are all states' names. I thought it is a symbol of union. I love this place because of the beauty and hugeness of this memorial.

Meaningful spot
I like this memorial most during the East Coast Trip because of not only the appearance but this place is so meaningful for American people because of two famous men. Abraham Lincoln is the most loved president by American people. He united the states during the Civil War. Without him, there was no United States of America like now. He also changed lives for black people. Black people were slave before he stopped slavery. I was moved by his great job. This memorial is also famous for where Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his famous speech 'I have a dream.' and he encouraged black people and influenced American society at that time. On the middle of the stairs, I found the place where Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his speech. Someone had watered on the spot so that everyone could see what the letters on the stone said clearly. I was so glad to see the spot. Finally, I could stand on it. Martin Luther King, Jr. chose this memorial for giving his famous speech because Lincoln freed slaves! I think Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. are very valuable and thoughtful person ever. I could learn American history deeper from this memorial.

I could know how American value created through visiting memorials and learned about them during the East Coast Trip. I respect American biggest two values: freedom and equality. Especially, the Lincoln Memorial taught me these important values.