 |
| Big John Hancock's tomb |
I went to Boston and Washington D.C for 6 days on the East Coast Trip. I had a really good time there. My favorite place that I visited was the Freedom Trail. This is a walking trail downtown in Boston. That has the important historical places which happened in Boston. I went to 11 places and these were very related to American history. I was especially interested in the Granary Burying Ground and the Old North Church.
I was inspired by the Granary Burying Ground because it was an important cemetery in American history. Many people who are buried there are related to the Declaration of Independence, for example, John Hancock. It is located in near the Boston Commons which is very huge park. This burying ground was very spiritual place. Many tombs were there. Also some very important person's tombs were so huge, for example John Hancock. He was the first person who signed the Declaration of Independence and he signed his name with very big letters. Sometimes it is said " Please give me your John Hancock." when you sign your name. It comes from that. I heard that it is an old style, but I thought that he was very respected by Americans. While I saw the tombs, there was a tour guide who wore 17th century's clothe. He acted very passionately. I couldn't hear his voice so much, but I enjoyed just watching him. Not only this place has historical significance but the Old North Church does.
 |
| The old clock |
I also fascinated by The Old North Church because I like Paul Revere. It is very important place in American history, too. It is the church where Paul Revere attended. He was a silversmith in Boston during the Revolutionary War. He told the Minutemen in Lexington and Concord that the British soldiers were coming by sea when they saw two lanterns on the church. The church was so beautiful. I liked the clock on the wall. The tour guide said that the clock is still working since those days. I couldn't believe it and I was so impressed! Also there were many boxes that people sit in. Those boxes used hot rocks or heater. There were no fan heater when the church was built, so some wealthy families sat there to warm themselves. After I listened to the tour guide's story and I went outside, I saw a person who wore clothes like I saw at Granary Burying Ground. And he acted as Paul Revere. I liked it! Unfortunately, I couldn't talk to him again. Anyway, I liked here very much and I thought this place was so cool!
There were many historical places I enjoyed on the East Coast trip. Through this trip, I could study American history more than before. I like American history, so I like these places. I appreciated this trip because I could feel that I want to learn American history more and visit there again.