From April 11th to 16th, I have been to Boston and Washington D.C. I was looking forward to visiting there. When I arrived at Boston and Washington D.C., I noticed that they looked different from Seattle and Spokane. It was very interesting because they are very multinational cities because I found that there are many people who are different races. I also noticed that all buildings looked different from Spokane because of historical facts and person in America. During the trip, I visited many historical places and great people's memorials there. I was very surprised that all memorials were magnificent and splendid that I have never seen in Japan. The most memorable place I visited is Martin Luther King's Memorial in Washington D.C.
 |
| Where Martin Luther King Jr. made speech |
Martin Luther King, Jr is one of the important persons who has left his mark in American history. He worked hard for the Civil Right Movement and no segregation became possible. He worked to make an American society without discrimination against African Americans, women and violence. In his speech, he focused on the importance of peace, justice and equality. In 1963, he gave a famous speech, ' I have a dream' at the Lincoln Memorial in 1963. When I went to Lincoln Memorial, I found that the mark of the place where he made speech at that time. As a result of his hard work, he won the Novel Peace Prize in 1964. He was a great and became a respectable person in America.
 |
| Out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope |
My first impression when I visited Martin Luther King Jr.'s memorial was that his sculpture was so impressive and made me surprised. It was built last year, on August 28th. It is located between the Lincoln Memorial and Thomas Jefferson Memorial. In his memorial, many his words are displayed and they are all inspiring. His big statue means "With this faith we will be able to knew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope." which is one of his phrases in his speech "I have a dream". I was moved that his statue stands for one of his words which has his strong feeling to try change society in America.
From my experience while staying in America and on East Coast trip, I noticed that there are many people who have different races and religions, but they have understanding to share each culture without prejudice and discrimination. I think it is the one of the respectful values that people in America have. Without Martin Luther King Jr.'s words and hard work, people wouldn't change their thinking about how important they are. It is certain that he did great job to create American society equality and peace. I respect his efforts and great achievement.