I enjoyed home stay this weekend. My host family has 2 young children. I enjoyed going to Gonzaga University, watching movies and playing with their young children. I also learned about American culture during my time with my host family. I learned that the role of the father or husband was different that in Japan.
First, my host father takes care of his children. He put them down for a nap and play with them. He chased his child around the house! In Japan, the husband does not take care of their children so much. Second, he does housework. When I went to home stay, my host father made breakfast for us! I was so surprised! Also, he went to supermarket to buy some vegetables. Finally, husband treated his wife as equal. They respected each other. When we planned about the day's schedule, my host father decided it with his wife. In most Japanese families, the father has the strongest role, but in America, it is different. They respected each other. When we planned about the day's schedule, my host father decided it with his wife. I was impressed. As you can see, I found three cultural differences.
| My cute host sister |
I'm looking forward to learning more cultural observations between Japan and America. I want to learn more and more through this study abroad program.