Patriotic people


Beautiful Mt.Vernon
Have you ever heard about Mt. Vernon? It is the place where the first U.S President, Washington, lived. All MFWI students visited there this week as a last place of the East Coast Trip. There is a large yard and many other buildings, which belonged to George Washington and his wife. We walked around there with a guide. During the tour, we went to Washington’s tomb. At there, I was surrounded by some American tourists and I encountered an exotic event.

The area of his tomb is located in the forest. When we reached the front of the gate, there is a sign of “Please be quiet”. We entered there quietly and I felt the atmosphere was quite peaceful. There are two columns and one structure. I saw a wreath of yellow flowers inside that monument. That is in honor of the great first president. The guide was talking about George Washington and this tomb. I tried to listen carefully. I caught some significant things and I heard the word "patriot"during his talk. I thought George is one of the most important people in American history. While I was listening to his story, all American, about 30 or 40 people who were standing around there started saying "The Pledge of Allegiance" suddenly. I was frightened because they were saying that together, and they were touching their chest with their right hand. I didn't notice what they were saying then. After I left there, I did search on the internet words what I heard. I found a words and the meaning. I've seen that American students do that ceremony in school thorough Japanese TV program. I think it is a big characteristic of American culture.
Great weather
I also noticed American's think patriotism is the most important thing for them. I asked my RA if she has ever experienced "The Pledge of Allegiance", and she said she did it everyday in during her elementary school days. She taught me that ceremony is performed in many events in America, for example graduation ceremony and baseball game. In my school in Japan, it's different from America, Japanese school respect school policy. Before the classes start, we meditate to concentrate on studying, in my junior and high school class. It is one of school rules and it isn't same across the country.

Through this experience, I thought about most Japanese don't think our country deeply everyday, but Americans do. Experiencing that ceremony gave me an opportunity to think about Americans people's heart. I want to learn about other American culture that has great value during my time in Spokane.