Great experience

My roommate and I spent wonderful weekend with my host family about two weeks ago. My host family is very gentle and active. We did a lot of activities, for example, hiking, watching movies, playing billiards. I really enjoyed everything. During my time with my host family, I observed a difference in baking compare to Japan

Huge oven!!
The first difference was a huge oven in their house. On the first day, we ate pizza at dinner time. We bought some pizza dough and took it to a host family's house and then we baked two pizzas in a huge oven. The basic oven in Japan can bake two slice of Japanese size bread, but the American size oven is two tiered and can bake two whole pizzas. There is also such a size oven in my dormitory, however I had thought this size was because it is in a dormitory which many people use. I was surprised to learn that this size of oven is common in American homes, too.

I also observed a difference in how pies are made. Next day, we made a apple pie and cherry pie with pie sheets they are easy to make and the canned fruit for cakes was already seasoned sweetly. I have made a pie several times in Japan, however it was the first time that I made one with such a useful sheet and canned fruit. I was able to make it by just spreading the sheet on the plate and pouring in the canned fruit, and baking it. When I make a pie in Japan, I usually have to make pie crusts and season the fruits with sugar and other seasonings. It takes the long time, but if I use pie sheet and canned fruits for cakes, I can make it in no time at all. In addition, these pies at my host family's house were very delicious. I think this sheet and canned fruit are very useful. Similar pie sheet also sell in Japan, but are not used very much. Unfortunately, the canned fruit which already seasoned sweetly is not sold in Japan. I think such kind of canned fruit should sell in Japan, too. Because I always have to season the fruits when I make fruit pie, fruit tart, and so on.

These differences of making pies were interesting to me. I could do many valuable experiences during my home stay. I ate many delicious dishes and did many enjoyable activity. I am going to meet host family again on April 8. I'm looking forward to the day very much and I hope to learn more about American culture again.