There are a lot of Japanese cars such as Toyota and Honda, and colorful cars in Spokane. When I go downtown or somewhere here, I notice three differences about cars between here and Japan.
Third, young American people who are the same age as me are always driving to school or to other places. They have their own cars and use them to go everywhere. In Japan, we always take the train to go to school because we do not have our own cars. However, in Spokane, I do not see the train so often. The Americans land are vast therefore, people use their cars to go to different places.
I think these are very significant cultural observations between here and Japan.
![]() |
| Car with mud |
First, I see a lot of dirty cars. I wonder why people do not wash their car. One of my teachers said it was because of cold weather. If people wash their cars on a cold day, the door freezes and people can not open it. Recently, Spokane is getting warm, so dirty cars are decreasing and clean cars are increasing.
Second, there are many broken cars here. Although they seem to run normally, the cars are damaged. I wonder about it. Why do people not fix their cars in Spokane? I asked my RA and she answered they do not have enough money to fix their cars. However, I do not think so. I think the American people spend their money on other things, for example, their hobbies, amusement, pleasure and so on. Those are more important than fixing their cars for American, I think.
Third, young American people who are the same age as me are always driving to school or to other places. They have their own cars and use them to go everywhere. In Japan, we always take the train to go to school because we do not have our own cars. However, in Spokane, I do not see the train so often. The Americans land are vast therefore, people use their cars to go to different places.
I think these are very significant cultural observations between here and Japan.
