The First Ride

Cute friends
I have been in America for a week so far and one thing that has really surprise me is the bus system in Spokane. It was completely different from Japanese one.

This Sunday, I went to a northtown mall and the downtown mall for orientation. It was the first ride on the bus in America for me. First, I was surprised at the location of entering the bus. In Japan, I usually get on the bus from a door back of the bus. In addition, in this Spokane bus, you have to pay money first. It is not you have to pay money when you get off the bus. In the Japanese bus, we pay money when we get off the bus. I didn’t know about that so I was little confused about that point.
Exciting bus ride

It was not only these points about this Spokane bus that surprised me. The most difficult thing was how to stop the bus in Spokane. In Japan, the next stop is announced and if you want to get off at that place, you can just push a button next to you. But in Spokane, there are no buttons on the bus. There was a rope instead of the buttons. We have to pull the rope before getting off the bus. It was very interesting for me. And there was no announcements on the bus about the next stop, so I didn’t know where to get off. Luckily, I could get off the bus because my friends and RAs were with me. I learned we need to know where we are and which bus sign to get off at. I felt this bus system was a little strange but interesting.

From that experience, I learned how important to it is to know different systems of other countries. Next time, I want to try to get off the bus only by myself.