I have stayed here for a week and I experienced big difference between American and Japanese culture at the great Welcome Banquet on Friday evening at commons.
| Welcome banquet pamphlet |
On February 17th, we had a great Welcome Banquet in commons. A lot people attended it, so I was surprised at the surroundings. Actually, I was a conductor of the student song, just before the song Kathy announced to everyone it was my birthday the day before everyone who was in the hall sang a song, Happy Birthday to me! I was really surprised because I didn’t expect this that. In Japan, it is unusual to sing birthday song for the person who isn't known well about someone. I felt American people are really friendly to others they don't know well, I felt the difference between American and Japanese culture because of this. At Welcome Banquet, there were a lot of Japanese students. Maybe being in USA makes them like American. It’s interesting for me, because they usually don’t sing a song for a stranger Japanese. The song relaxed and moved me. I felt the song has great power.
Big difference of culture sometimes makes us confusing or disappointing but this one was amazing. Through this fabulous Welcome Banquet, I could learn about big difference of culture is not always confusing. It's also amazing.