I went to Northtown , and downtown last Saturday
with my RA, Brenda and my friends by bus. On
the way from MFWI to Northtown, I felt a sense of incongruity, but I wasn’t
aware of anything. We went to IHOP for brunch. I ate a waffle set. It tasted very
nice. When we left that restaurant, Brenda said to me “You should pay a tip.” ,
but I didn’t know how much I should pay. She taught me “If you don’t know how much
to pay, just pay 1 dollar, ok?” It was my first time to pay a tip. After that, we
went downtown. On the way from Northtown to downtown, I became aware of my
incongruity I had a short time before. People were driving on the right side of
the road! In Japan, we drive on the left side. If Japanese drive a car in America,
I think almost all of them would feel strange. In downtown, when I would cross
the road at the intersection, of course, a pedestrian crossing, many cars were turning,
not waiting for my crossing, and I had to hurry up. I was very scared. Maybe a
lot of Japanese would be scared too. In addition to this fact, American cars
have left-hand steering wheel, so when I rode on the bus, I sat on the right
side. The bus has doors on the right side. In Japan, it is opposite. Cars have steering
wheel on the right side, and buses have doors on the left side. There are many
differences related to drive and cars between the USA and Japan. I heard most
people don’t wash their car in winter in Spokane, because their doors and
windows freeze. In my town, I rarely see snow, so my car has never frozen. All of
these things I experienced were very interesting. There are a lot of cultural
differences between the USA and Japan. I want to know other cultural
differences.