Admirable American Customs

Mykind host family
I always become happy to come across wonderful American customs. About one month has passed since I came to Spokane, and I noticed some different American customs. First, when we greet someone for the first time Japanese people bow, but American people shake hands. It is very nice because I think that shaking hands is more personal than bowing. I am glad to hold hands with people I meet. Second, American people really love their family. I was surprised when I went to my teachers' offices because almost all the teachers hang a picture of their family on the wall. My teacher told me “If I must go abroad to work, I absolutely must take my family or refuse that job”. It is wonderful. When I heard that my heart was warmed and I began miss my family. The third fantastic American custom I noticed is hugging. This is not a custom in Japan. For example, last Sunday, I met my host family for the first time. They hugged me when we said good bye. I was very pleased because I feel their kindness. America has admirable American customs. I want to know more about splendid American customs and I want to practice them!

Comments