My Irreplaceable Memory✿

On May 7th, Sunrise Elementary School students visited in our writing class. We exchanged letters with them 4 times during this semester. It was a wonderful day for me.

The children arrived at MFWI at 10:30 and we went to meet them. We split into 3 groups of 4 people each. We planned activities with the children the day before in our class. There were 3 activities which we planed to entertain with the children. One was dressing the children up a yukata which is a Japanese traditional summer dress. It is like a kimono, but more casual than a kimono. Japanese people often wear a yukata when they go to festivals during summer. The second activity was teaching them about Japan. For example, how yo do origami, playing with Japanese traditional toys and so on. The last activity was playing games outside. Each group had one activity. We played with the children in each group for 15 minutes and then the children rotated, so we could meet all of the children. All the activities were very entertaining.

I was a member of the outside game group. Our group asked each group that came, "What do you want to do?" and played tag and hide-and-seek. We taught them Japanese games and how to play the game of rock- paper-scissors in Japanese and in reverse, the children also taught us American games. All of them were full of energy. I saw that the children played with vigor and I felt I really became old. I was a little tired but I was delighted to play with the children for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, the children and we went back to our class room. The children learned about Japan using a Power Point that a teacher prepared. They seemed enjoy it so I was happy. At noon, we went outside again to have lunch. We had lunch with each of our pen pals. My pen pal is Jacob. I knew he likes baseball and music through correspondence so I talked about it with him while we were having lunch. He gave me a cute postcard and some candy. I was really grateful to receive it. After lunch, we took pictures and played with the children again. The children went back to their school at 1:00.

I had a really splendid time with the children. I was a little sad when I thought I couldn't meet my pen pal again but it was one of my irreplaceable experience for me. I will never forget this day.

Comments