Wonderful Memories of East Coast Trip


I went on the East Coast Trip from Saturday, April 9th to Thursday, April 14th. It was an educational tour with MFWI program. I was in the travel group 6, which was the last group to leave the campus. We visited Boston first and then went to Washington, D.C. by Amtrak. We visited many important places of each city. I was impressed by many things during the trip. I will write about three things that impressed me the most, and that I enjoyed the most. 

Interesting Pilgrims Actors
First, I had a lot of fun at the Plymouth Plantation. We talked to the actors who were pretending like they were Pilgrims from the 1600s. The most interesting thing I heard from one of the pilgrims was that some of them had virtue names. For example, there was a man whose name was Love, and he said his parents named him Love because they didn’t want him to forget to have love. He said it was kind of a reminder. That was very interesting. At Plymouth Plantation, I was able to see how the village looked at that time and what kind of clothes they were wearing. I also learned some of their values by talking to them. I felt like I was in a different time, so it was a lot of fun. They also had village for Native Americans, and I learned some things about their life, too. It was a pity that we couldn’t see the Mayflower, but I had a good time there.

Gorgeous Rotunda of the National Gallery of Art
Secondly, I enjoyed the Smithsonian Museum very much. Each museum was so big and the exhibitions were really interesting. Three hours were definitely not enough for me to see all I wanted to see. My friends and I visited three places; the National Archives, the National Gallery of Art, and the Air and Space Museum. We first visited the National Archives and saw the real Declaration of Independence and Constitution. I was so impressed to see them because I had been studying about it for the last few weeks in American Studies classes. I was so happy that I had a chance in my life to see that precious document. Next, we visited was the National Gallery of Art. It was my desire to go to that museum because I love seeing classical paintings. I especially like Impressionism, and I saw many of them in the museum. My favorite artist is Pierre Augustine Renoir, so I was so excited to find his paintings. I very much enjoyed other paintings by Impressionists, too. There was a painting by Leonardo Da Vinci in the museum. I think it was my first time to see a real Da Vinci portrait. Although it was not one of the most famous paintings of his, I was happy that I could see the real one. The last museum we visited was the Air and Space Museum. We were all very excited in the museum because we saw the air plane of Amelia Earhart, which was in the movie “The Night at the Museum 2.” I was especially impressed to see a Japanese plane of World War 2, since I’m interested in that part of Japanese history. I had a lot of fun at the Smithsonian and I hope I can come back again to see other museums that I didn’t get to see this time.

Overwhelming Statue of President Lincoln
Finally, I was impressed to see the Lincoln Memorial. I had seen the photo of the sculpture of Lincoln many times, so I couldn’t believe I was actually standing right in front of the sculpture. The memorial building was huge, so the statue looked smaller than I had imagined it would be, but it was still a very large statue. I stood on the spot where Martin Luther King Jr. made his famous “I Have a Dream” speech. The view was very pretty from that place, and it was spectacular to imagine that the large space was once filled with people who went to hear the speech by Martin Luther King Jr. I was really happy, again, to see the place that I had only seen on TV or in books. 

I had a really great time in East Coast. Everything was new and impressive to me. I like history very much, so I was really glad to visit so many famous historical places. I appreciate my parents and school for giving me these amazing opportunities to see all of those amazing places.

Comments