I had a great experience in my conversation class on February 23rd. To learn American restaurant custom, I went to a Japanese restaurant, Nudo with my group members who also wanted to go there. The reason why we chose the restaurant was that we wanted to eat Japanese food and know how the food in America was different from real one. Although I knew there would be some different things in Nudo, I found three surprising things there.
The first surprising thing for me is that the atmosphere at the restaurant was really nice. We had thought Nudo was a casual Japanese restaurant. As soon as we came into Nudo, our thought was reserved. In the restaurant, American culture and Japanese culture mixed very well. The walls were decorated with American comic book pictures. Manekineko, which is a Japanese traditional cat and brings us luck, was also drawn on the wall in a style of American comic book pictures. The interior was based around the color of black and white. Thanks to the nice atmosphere, I felt comfortable and relieved.
The second surprising thing for me is Tonkotsu Ramen I ordered. Because it was made for Americans, it was a little bit different from Japanese one. For example, there were lots of shaved raw carrots on the top of soup. I don't like carrots so they were a bit annoying. The Ramen had a bad point, however, it was as tasty as Japanese Ramen.
Another thing I was surprised at is customers in Nudo. athey were all good at using chopsticks. Forks and spoons were also pot on each table, but people didn't use them. Moreover there was a woman eating Gyoza with her hand. Maybe it was only her own custom to eat like that way. I'd like to search more.I think Americans accept Japaneses custom and enjoy their meal.
I could experience many more hings than I had expected. Nudo is a Japanese restaurant but Americans run the restaurant. This is the reason why the restaurant is different from Japanese ones. I'd like to go to American restaurant the next time and experience both American food and American culture.
![]() |
| Manekineko |
The first surprising thing for me is that the atmosphere at the restaurant was really nice. We had thought Nudo was a casual Japanese restaurant. As soon as we came into Nudo, our thought was reserved. In the restaurant, American culture and Japanese culture mixed very well. The walls were decorated with American comic book pictures. Manekineko, which is a Japanese traditional cat and brings us luck, was also drawn on the wall in a style of American comic book pictures. The interior was based around the color of black and white. Thanks to the nice atmosphere, I felt comfortable and relieved.
![]() |
| Tonkotsu Ramen |
The second surprising thing for me is Tonkotsu Ramen I ordered. Because it was made for Americans, it was a little bit different from Japanese one. For example, there were lots of shaved raw carrots on the top of soup. I don't like carrots so they were a bit annoying. The Ramen had a bad point, however, it was as tasty as Japanese Ramen.
Another thing I was surprised at is customers in Nudo. athey were all good at using chopsticks. Forks and spoons were also pot on each table, but people didn't use them. Moreover there was a woman eating Gyoza with her hand. Maybe it was only her own custom to eat like that way. I'd like to search more.I think Americans accept Japaneses custom and enjoy their meal.
I could experience many more hings than I had expected. Nudo is a Japanese restaurant but Americans run the restaurant. This is the reason why the restaurant is different from Japanese ones. I'd like to go to American restaurant the next time and experience both American food and American culture.


Comments