Being noticed at the Pike Place Market

We, the Mukogawa students, went to Seattle, Olympia, and Tacoma for three days in March. We went there by bus. In Seattle, I went to many places, like the Space Needle and University of Washington. This was my second time going there and I enjoyed it a lot. I became more knowledgeable about Seattle and liked it even more. When I went to the Pike Place Market, I found there are a lot of people from different countries, different kinds of stores, and things.


First, I noticed there are a lot of people from other countries, especially India. I saw many people from India or some other countries when I walked through the market with my friends. Also, I heard that people spoke a lot of different languages. I could hear Chinese, but I didn’t know any of them. I went to the Pike Place Market four years ago, but I didn’t find many people from other countries like this experience.

Indian grocery & Mexican food store

Second, I found that there is a Mexican food store and an Indian grocery near the first original Starbucks. I could see inside both stores when my friends and I stood in a line to enter the first original Starbucks. They sell tortilla and sari. I knew there is a store which sells piroshky, but I saw a Chinese restaurant for the first time. I knew about the market from my last trip, but it had changed quickly since then. I looked at some pictures which were taken by me at the market in 2011 and I couldn’t find a Mexican or an Indian store. I felt that the time goes by fast.





many vegetables!!

Third, I learned that flowers or fruits are sold by local formers. I noticed the cost at the market is higher than the cost at a typical supermarket, so we have to pay more money for them at the market. My friend and I bought two small boxes filled with blueberries at the market. It cost three dollars. I thought the price is little expensive, but I could see the people who made these foods and buy foods right from them. So, we were relieved to buy that. I think it’s very good for buyers and also sellers.




In conclusion, I’m glad that I went to Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia. In this trip I could felt that Seattle became a cultural diversity place, because I didn’t see many different kinds of people and things there in 2011. Also, there are many shops and many people that come to see and buy things there, so I thought that the Pike Place Market is lively. I want to go to Seattle and visit Pike Place Market again. I ate piroshky before and ice cream this time, so I want to try more different kinds of foods next time.


Comments