Surprising American Restaurants

Great Hamburger!!!
Last week, I went to the Onion which is the burger restaurant downtown with my classmate. It is one of the most popular burger restaurants in Spokane. At the restaurant, I found two interesting cultural differences between America and Japan.

First, when I chose the burger and tried to find a bell to call the server, I noticed there was no bell on the table. I was surprised and didn't know how to get my order to the server at first. But, other customer said "Excuse me." to call the server, so I could order like that. If I had seen other customers do this, I couldn't have ordered. After coming home, my RA told me there is no bell at most restaurants in America and customers said 'Excuse me' to call the server instead of using a bell. In Japan, it is usual that there are bells to call servers at almost all of the restaurants. I thought American restaurants should have bells. Then it will be easy for customers to call the server.

Awesome Restaurant, the Onion
Second, some Americans use a Doggy Bag which is used when they are full and want to take leftovers to their houses. I was so surprised to hear that. I had managed to eat all my meal by the time I knew that. I thought this system was very nice and useful. In Japan, there is no such thing as a Doggy Bag, so I want to introduce the system to Japan.

I had a good experience learning about unique American culture at this restaurant. I would like to discover more cultural differences between America and Japan which most people don't know.

Comments

Miyuki said…
Hi, Shizu.
I enjoyed reading your blog. I went to Red Robin, so it was similar like The Onion. I ate all at that time, but I felt really full. I think I had to use Doggie bag. haha
Ayaka said…
Hello, Shizu.I also think Doggy Bag is very useful! Let's go other restaraunts together♡